Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Juice Fast Journey: Day 7

I am so so excited to be here, day 7, my last day of strictly juicing. Yes, that's right folks, I've decided this is the end for now but now that I know what I'm capable of in the future I plan to do at least an 8 day fast. 

So to finish things off strong I started my morning by making three juices: one for my sick husband, my breakfast and my lunch.

Here's the drink I made for my husband, just thought I'd show you for another juice idea:

It included: carrots, one apple, Swiss chard, small amount of red cabbage and ginger. What's awesome is that I'm trying to sneak in more veggies he wouldn't normally eat right now, and since he can't smell or taste very well he didn't even notice. Success!

Okay, well moving on to me, here's what I decided to add to this mornings juice:

That's right, it's a papaya! So I've read recently that papayas are supposed to be super helpful for preventing constipation and since I tend to be that way I was really wanting to add them to my diet and so I thought I'd start by juicing them.

Breakfast:
- red juice

Included:
- strawberries, about 2 cups whole
- one wedge of red cabbage
- 1 lime
- 2 carrots
- papaya, about 4-5 large pieces, roughly 1/5 of a papaya


So, I must share with you my lesson learned while juicing with the papaya. Apparently you shouldn't. That's the lesson. So when I juiced the papaya it actually bogged down my machine and more of a thick smoothie type consistency came out and not actually just juice. 


Can you see the texture of that juice. It was like slop. Now I have to tell you it was very good slop but honestly it was like having a smoothie so I almost felt like I was cheating. Anyways, needless to say I asked to see if my eldest daughter wanted some fresh papaya and she tried it and said she didn't like it. What?! In my 'smoothie' it tastes so good but honestly I've never had fresh papaya so I couldn't argue with her. So alas, all the rest of the papaya got cut up and frozen later for real smoothies.


Lunch:
- orange juice

Includes:
- 4 carrots
- 3 celery stalks
- piece of ginger
- Swiss chard leaf
- handful of sugar snap peas
- 3 large wedges of pineapple


This drink was okay. I think I added too much ginger. I'm not a huge ginger fan and honestly I can't believe some people add so much to their drinks. I'd rather not have my whole drink taste like fire down my throat, but I can suffer through a little for the health benefits.

Well, today was by far the easiest day of the fast and I'm sure it's because of looking forward to eating more fruits and veggies after this. I wasn't even tempted really all day. I just planned in my head to eat that another day that all. 

I honestly have had a lot of fun learning through this process of juicing. What veggies do I like in my juice? What fruits mask the veggies the best? What's a good combination? Etc. I have had so much fun with my girls being my helpers too! They will ask me to wait for them so they can be my loader and pusher for my juicer. 


What's exciting to see also is when your kids will drink your juice down and you have to make more. My eldest is even saying when she doesn't like one as well and suggests we add something to make it better. It's really great to see! Parenting success! 

I really do want my life to be filled with healthy vegetables and fruits and I realize how hard it is to fit it into a busy schedule but after this experience I'm wanting to try to at least juice once every other day. 

Well, here is how I finished it off strong.

Dinner:
- red juice

Included:
- 1 pear
- 1 cup of honeydew melon
- 2 carrots
- 1 celery stalk
- 1/4 of small watermelon
- tiny bit of leftover sugar snap peas


At this point I didn't even care about adding many vegetables to my juice! I just wanted to finish it off with something sweet!! And it was really good! And it made a lot!


Well, that's it folks. I'm done! Tomorrow I will be able to add some veggies and fruits to my diet. Although I know that I need to transition my body slowly. I made the mistake after a 3 day fast to eat some dairy right away and I had such bad gas I was curled over in pain I kid you not! It was horrible!! I've since learned that your body gets used to having readily available easily digestible foods and has to transition back to having some of the harder foods to digest like, dairy, meats and fats.

I will try to keep writing a few days of my transition diet to help people with that too. Hopefully I can do better this time. Fingers crossed people!

Heather Joy


No comments:

Post a Comment